RE: [pooma-dev] Bugs

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Bugs
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 01:59:49 -0700

Hi Steve,

>> 1.  Code is crashing when I try to call

>> DynamicArray<int> kill;
>> kill.create( Neutrons.size() );

>> create call generates an error.  Neutrons in this case is just a Particle
>> object.

What is the error message?  Have you checked the
value of Neutrons.size()?  This might be bad if
Neutrons.size() returns zero, for example.

>> 2.  sync() called with no parameters makes the code immediately exit with
>> no error messages

Yes, sync() with no arguments is basically unusable
and should be removed, IMO.  The original thought
here was that a ParticleSpatialLayout depends upon
the particle positions, and thus the user must pass
to sync() an attribute representing position.
Meanwhile, for ParticleUniformLayout no such particle
attribute is needed, because the distribution strategy
relies solely on balancing the number of particles
in each patch.  The problem is, you need to have a
particle attribute (i.e., a DynamicArray with its
DynamicLayout) to tell you how many particles there
are on each patch and let you create, destroy and
swap particle data.  So, in effect, you still need an
attribute argument to sync().

Maybe there is a way to fix this by allowing the
Particles object itself be an Observer of the
DynamicLayout that manages distribution of the
multi-patch DynamicArrays.  It would be nice to have
layout information without needing an attribute.
For now, though, pass an attribute to sync() even
when using ParticleUniformLayout.

-- Julian C.