Domain traits

From: Julian Cummings
Subject: Domain traits
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:44:45 -0700

Hi All,

I rewrote a lot of the Domain code to eliminate the use
of enums to represent traits in favor of static typed data.
Jeffrey is reviewing my changes.  As part of my changes,
I removed these traits values from the Domain classes
themselves because that's what DomainTraits is for.

However, testing has uncovered that there are several
places in BrickEngine and Evaluator where traits such
as dimensions and unitStride are being extracted from
a Domain type.  Is it OK with folks if I change these
spots to get the traits from DomainTraits?  An example
of this is rewriting

Domain_t::dimensions

as

DomainTraits<Domain_t>::dimensions

I think people are used to the first notation because we
do that with objects like Array and NewField.  If people
are really annoyed by this, I suppose I could put the traits
values back into the Domain classes.  It just seemed kind
of silly to me to have the traits values repeated in two
different places.  What do you think?

Thanks, Julian C.

P.S.  There are a few pseudo-Domain classes such as
IndirectionList that do not have a DomainTraits specialization
defined at the moment, but they really should.  These
classes are never used in Evaluators, however, so there
is no problem in practice.

--
Dr. Julian C. Cummings                       E-mail: address@hidden
California Institute of Technology           Phone:  626-395-2543