RE: [pooma-dev] cygwin builds..

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] cygwin builds..
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:47:53 -0700

Hi Jim,

I've just checked in a hack to rules.mk that will sidestep
this problem for now.  I put a "-" in front of the cp command,
so that errors will be ignored by make and it will continue.

The problem occurs because we have assumed in the build
system that executable files have no filename extension.
But under cygwin they do have an extension, which is .exe.
The cp command fails because the filenames used are wrong.

I think it is hard to actually fix this problem.  We could define
a make variable for the filename extension add define it as
".exe" under cygwin.  But then we would have to append this
make variable to the name of every executable in every test
code and example code and benchmark code makefile in Pooma.
I believe that would do it, but it's a lot of work and ugliness.

The cp command is there to save each executable in a
PASS-specific file, so that you can build multiple passes
(typically DBG or OPT, with the default being APP) within
the same suite subdirectory.  Seems like overkill, but I think
Blanca used this feature to take advantage of reusing template
instantiation information files from a debug build in a subsequent
optimized build.  The cp is wasteful; I would have done an mv
followed by a symbolic link to the PASS-specific file.

My change at least allows multiple builds to proceed under cygwin.

-- Julian C.

Dr. Julian C. Cummings
Staff Scientist, CACR/Caltech
(626) 395-2543