Re: FW: gcc/stl question

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: FW: gcc/stl question
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:35:31 -0700

    James> Mark, does this mean that

    James>   vector<int> a(10,5);

    James> will select the template constructor (since 10 is not an

Yes, I believe so.  If you write 5U then I think the other construtor
will get called.  The really pathological case is:

  vector<size_t> a((size_t) 10, (size_t) 5);

You get lucky in this case because when two functions match equally
well, the non-template version is preferred.

    James> unsigned int)? I could have sworn that special things were
    James> supposed to be done to make this do what people expected it
    James> to do, and I just figured that the pointer case would be
    James> similarly handled.

There was talk of doing something special at some point in the
standardization process, but I don't think that every came to
anything.

    James> (BTW, is my recollection correct that I can safely leave
    James> the initialization off in the test below - vector always
    James> initializes its memory with the default constructor,
    James> right?)

Right.

--
Mark Mitchell                   address@hidden