Re: [pooma-dev] template idiom in the Blitz stencils; TList as a Domain

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] template idiom in the Blitz stencils; TList as a Domain simplification
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:43:49 -0600

On Thursday, June 7, 2001, at 07:31 AM, Allan Stokes wrote:

There might be a case for adopting a TList mechanism to handle vararg
constructs in Pooma.  The TList itself contains all the nasty code
replication.  There would no longer be a need for Pooma components to
replicate member functions on rank.

I don't know to what extend vararg constructs are currently exposed in user level contexts, or how much of an imposition it would be to require users to
package their varargs.

A possible compromise would be to retain the functions for 1 to 3
dimensions, and only require packaging for extended ranks. Is having three
versions any better than having seven?

I'm tossing this construct out first, because it's the least "C++ compliant" of all the conveniences which Domain presently offers. Allowing integers to
act as a domain type is also a hassle, but at least it's a hassle the
language endorses.

Hi Allan,

Having one function would be wonderful from an implementation perspective; however, I believe that asking the users to package their domains would be viewed as ugly and onerous. Providing 7 versions of some functions really isn't all that big of a deal, certainly not significantly harder than providing 3.

I thought that our approach was C++-compliant. Could you explain where it falls short here?

As for integers appearing in a mix of domains, one could legitimately argue that this adds a lot of complexity that might better be handled in other ways: for example, having slices require a specific syntax and doing indexing with a separate set of member functions.

I do like Todd's approach of defining the stencils. It probably wouldn't be horribly hard to try a similar thing with POOMA . Are you interested in pursuing a prototype of, say, a cell->cell divergence for comparison purposes?

Scott