parallel runs

From: John Hall
Subject: parallel runs
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:25:04 -0600

Scott and Stephen:
It turns out that I had already noticed that I needed to use DistributedTag instead of ReplicatedTag in my field and layout creation routines, so the error in FieldTour1.cpp was not my problem (unfortunately). When we made the suggested change to Fieldtour1.cpp of course we ran that test correctly along with all the others in the NewField test directory. We do not seem to have a StencilTest in that directory using the standard checkout.

We also tried last night running with no guard cells, --pooma-nocompress and changing CompressibleBrick to simply Brick. None of these changes had any effect on the final result, which is hints of patches of correct behavior surrounded by gibberish.

I have a series of further tests in mind today including running under the debugger (totalview, which has finally gotten to the point where it is an excellent tool even with KCC) and determining whether the data is correct and maybe the problem lies simply in the printing (we can all dream, right?). I am also going to start coding some of our tests directly in Pooma, although I am already running in the Poomalote regression test layer which is essentially straight Pooma anyhow since it is our lowest layer.

Anyhow, I will finally get it down to exactly when we can run OK and when we can't since I now have some working reliable examples. Until then we will have to keep saying that "Blanca/Pooma is without parallel without exception" since performance is dramatically improved without exceptions.
Thanks,
John