Using Tau and PDToolkit

From: Jeffrey Oldham
Subject: Using Tau and PDToolkit
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 19:43:26 -0700

(Mark, would you please post the two attached tar files at the Pooma
WWW site?)

(For Linux, these instructions presume patching the .conf files, a
patch that is awaiting approval.)

(Where should I more permanently store these instructions?)

These are the steps I used to install Tau on my sequential Linux and
an Irix/KCC computers.

Extract Tau 2.9.21 and PdToolkit 2.0b1:
  tar xzvf pdtoolkit-2.0b1.tar.gz
  tar xzvf tau-2.9.21b.tgz

To install PDToolkit 2.0b1:

  ./configure -GNU       # use g++ to compile the library
OR
  ./configure -KCC -arch=IRIXN32 && make -j     # Use '-arch' only for Irix.
  make
  make install
  make clean

To install (modified) Tau 2.9.21:

  ./configure -gnu -noex -PROFILE -pdt=${HOME}/pooma/pdtoolkit-2.0b1
-useropt='-static -DTAU_DOT_H_LESS_HEADERS'
          # Pooma's default is no exceptions.
          # -gnu = use g++ and gcc
          # -pdt specifies the location of the PDToolkit
          # I also added '-useropt='-static -g -DTAU_DOT_H_LESS_HEADERS' '
          #   to ensure, among other things, '.h'-less header files are used.
OR
  ./configure -c++=KCC -arch=sgin32 -noex -PROFILE -SGITIMERS
-pdt=${HOME}/pooma/pdtoolkit-2.0b1        # Use '-arch' only for Irix.
  make install
  make tests
  cd i386_linux/lib     # Modify according to your architecture.
  mv Makefile.tau-noex Makefile.tau-gcc-noex    # Modify according to compiler.

The last two commands rename a Makefile to record the associated
compiler, as needed by Pooma.  For example, one can replace "gcc" with
?"KCC"?.  (Irix/KCC did not need this change.)

The Tau and Pooma configuration files have diverged.  If using Linux,
patch the appropriate Pooma config/arch configuration file: Add a line
defining '$profile_archtype' to "i386_linux" (including quotation
marks) and modify '$profile_lib_subdir' to use '$profile_archtype'
instead of the hard-coded string.  See the attached patch.

First, make set the environment variables TAUDIR and PDTDIR to the
appropriate source locations.  For example, I added these two lines to
my ${HOME}/.profile:
  export TAUDIR=${HOME}/pooma/tau-2.9.21
  export PDTDIR=${HOME}/pooma/pdtoolkit-2.0b1
I also added '${TAUDIR}/i386_linux/bin:${PDTDIR}/linux/bin' to
${PATH}.  By default, Pooma will use PDToolkit to instrument all .cpp
files.  To do so, provide '--profile' as a configuration option:

  ./configure --arch LINUXgcc --bounds --debug --profile

Some Pooma source code changes will be necessary to permit parsing by
the PDT parser.

Thanks,
Jeffrey D. Oldham
address@hidden