Our progress

From: John Hall
Subject: Our progress
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:29:38 -0700

Gang:
I just thought I would tell you about our status in our unfunded migration to the head version of Pooma R2. We are there. All of our open code base is now sitting on top of the head version of Pooma R2 and we are using all the new features except the extended centering options (this will require another pass). All of the regression tests I have run so far have passed as of this night. This is a lot of code and it puts Pooma through a grinder. Everything looks terrific though. We will probably try and get some timings to compare it to the old version in a little while. Thanks for all your hard work.

In some other news, Jean Marshall has just gotten a job with Embarcadero Technologies, the makers of Describe (formerly GDPro) and she will be leaving the lab by either retirement or entreprenurial leave. Don Marshall is still a year away from retiring and is currently trying to work on Shavano. Dave Nystrom has moved to X-2 and is working on Crestone. There is a possibility that instead of quitting the lab like I had intended, I might finally be granted a change of station to Carlsbad, NM by Bill Press. There is an office for LANL there with around 35 people. If that continues to move forward then I will be working 1/2 time for Brown Rogers of X-4 and 1/2 time for Jim Morel of CCS-4. Even if I leave, I intend to find a way to finish the project that Don, Jean, Dave and I had started.

Since KCC has been discontinued by Intel, there will probably be a renewed interest in GCC by LANL. I have already put Mark Mitchell into contact with Marv Alme from the Antero team and it looks like a new contract for GCC might eventually be forthcoming there. Marv is excited by the work Mark has been doing.

Does anyone know the status of gcc/mpi/smarts/mm... on the new unix based Mac OS-X. Can I prototype parallel code on my G4 powerbook? This would go a long ways toward my getting the new version of our code running in parallel. Everything to this point has been CodeWarrior in serial on a mac and a PC.

Thanks,
John Hall