RE: [pooma-dev] FieldStencils and Field(Range) views

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] FieldStencils and Field(Range) views
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:06:02 -0600

There is, in general, no good way to construct metric information for a range view of a field, which is why range views evaluate to Fields with NoGeometry. For instance, if you have a non-uniform non-orthogonal coordinate system and you remove every other point in one direction, the new mesh is no longer a simple sub-mesh of the old mesh, and there is no general way for Pooma to calculate this new information. For fields with cartesian coordinates this could be done, but such discrimination would have required the coordinate system type to be a compile time quantity, and in the re-design of Fields our main customers really wanted us to reduce the number of template dependencies (helps code-bloat, compile time, . . .).

        Jim