parallel particles wo cheetah

From: Steve Nolen
Subject: parallel particles wo cheetah
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:21:14 -0600

is there a mixed signal in all of this?  i'm trying to get a r2 version of
mc++ running again.  i need parallelism with particles.  my particles
(neutrons) do not need to interact with fields.  the following emails tell
me that i should use cheetah, but when i report a blatant, uncompilable bug,
it gets dismissed because another email informs me that cheetah is no longer
supported.  i have tried to compile examples/Particles/Bounce with
standalone mpi, but i get a ton of errors.  is this a known deficiency?

Steve Nolen wrote:

should i even be using cheetah for communications? i thought this was the
preferred path. is pooma's internal message passing sufficient?

Cheetah is still supported by POOMA, but it is stable. No development has
happened for several years. Thus, POOMA + Cheetah should still work and will
continue to work for the foreseeable future.

MPI support for POOMA was recently added. To use it, configure POOMA with
the '--mpi' option, not the '--messaging' Cheetah option. One can search the
POOMA source code for 'POOMA_MPI' to see the places that have been modified.

As a conservative user, I usually recommend using a configuration that
currently works well rather than switching to a newer version. Thus, I
suggest continuing to use Cheetah unless you expect some advantage unknown
to me from switching.