Re: [pooma-dev] Re: pooma compilation problems

From: Mark Mitchell
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Re: pooma compilation problems
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:20:13 -0700

Richard Guenther wrote:

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Mark Mitchell wrote:

Steve Nolen wrote:

i am having a problem compiling pooma on a Linux cluster.  i am using
gcc_3.4.0 and it is giving a host of errors saying it is encountering
multiply undefined variables.  the problem seems to be with derived
templated classes being unable to see the templated member variables of
their parent classes.  it can be resolved by explicitly scoping the
variables to their proper base class, but this solution seems suboptimal.
am i doing something incorrect or is gcc304 enforcing a stricter adherence
to the standard?

The latter.  I believe that the current sources for POOMA, in CVS, work
with GCC 3.4.x.

Maybe we can do another release of the POOMA library.  These problems seem
common, and just redirecting everyone to CVS is not good.  At least maybe
the website could point out possible problems with gcc 3.4 and icpc.
Yes, with all of your many improvements, maybe it is time for a POOMA 2.5. I have no particular opinion; you and Jeffrey are better informed than I.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC