Re: [FR-devel] PickAxe in the docs

From: Horacio Lopez
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] PickAxe in the docs
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:55:19 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Kilmer" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 4:24 PM
> Bob,
>
> The PickAxe is open-content...so yes, you can do anything you want with it
> ;-)  Don't be afraid of emailing Dave Thomas just to confirm (and let him
> know) your intended use (address@hidden).  You can get the
XML
> source from here:
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/downloads/book.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

That XML pack doesn't come with  convert.xsl  (needed in order
to convert from XML to HTML)

You can get the real thing from the RubyGarden CVS.
The CVS version also comes with other tools needed for extracting
and testing sample code from the book.

How to get the CVS version:

% cvs  -d :pserver:address@hidden:/usr/local/repository login
Password:  anonymous

% cvs  -d :pserver:address@hidden:/usr/local/repository co
ProgrammingRuby

In the spanish translation I created a  convert-es.xsl stylesheet
and according to Jürgen, the same goes for the german version.
We are discussing how will we integrate this in the future.

Of course I didn't mean in FreeRIDE we should do the translation, obviously
that are separate projects by themselves.
I just happen to be in good position to comment on this because I am part
of one of that projects.

FYI, the translated XML docs will include some extra tags that
the english version doesn't have.
This is because we must use accented characters for european
languages other than english, and because we add some metadata.
I guess it's pretty straightforward to understand:

-------------------- example:  foreword.xml header --------------------

<ppdoc>
<copyright>
    Copyright (c) 2001 by Addison Wesley Longman.  This
    material may be distributed only subject to the terms and
    conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v1.0 or
    later (the latest version is presently available at
    http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/ ).
</copyright>

<international>

    <translator name="Julio Rodríguez" email="address@hidden" />
    <editor name="Horacio López" email="address@hidden" />
    <originalproject name="Programming Ruby" lang="en" version="0.3a" />
    <project name="Programando en Ruby" lang="es" version="0.1"
website="http://www.ruby-es.org"; />

</international>

<chapter  ref="xref-000001" name="Prólogo" originalname="Foreword">

-------------------- EOF  example:  foreword.xml header --------------------

FreeRIDE will run on several languages, and it would be ideal
that the bundled docs were also localized when possible.

Anything you need, just let me know.

cheers,
                 vruz