Re: [FR-devel] Introduction

From: Baptiste Lepilleur
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Introduction
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 23:42:27 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Denny" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 3:43 AM
Subject: [FR-devel] Introduction

> Hello folks,
>
> I recently joined the developers' list, so thought i should introduce
> myself.
>
> I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I graduated from U.C. Berkeley 2
> years ago, with a major in cognitive science.  Since that time I've been
> writing software for an educational non-profit.  The majority of my
> professional experience has been with Java.
>
> I discovered Ruby about a month ago and immediately started looking for
> opportunities to use it.  I'd also been thinking about trying to
contribute
> to an open source project, and so I thought maybe I could do both at
once...
> :)
>
> FreeRIDE caught my eye partly due to my recently having found a Java IDE
> which I actually really, really like (IDEA).

I like it very much too! There is a lot of good idea ;-) in there.

> I am probably going to sign up to work on the Refactoring project, and
> possibly the Editor project too.  Language-aware editing tools interest
> me.  I don't have a durn bit of experience coding these sorts of tools per
> se, but I loved my "programming languages and compilers" class in college,
> which seems like the most relevant thing.

Give a look to my mail on folding and smart indent. See if you have other
ideas. What is needed here is basically a small parser that identify the
code structure. It has the advantage of being fairly easy to unit test.

Also, concerning refactoring, we need to draw up the list of refactoring in
Ruby, which I guess is somewhat larger than those that exist in Java (my
guess is that mixin and reflection adds even more refactoring). Though, it
would be interesting to get feedback from experienced ruby user on this (a
discussion to launch on ruby-talk ?).

> I've never contributed to an open source project before, and I have a mere
> couple of years of professional experience, so...  Curt has assured me
that
> I'm allowed to ask stupid questions on the list, and I will.  (Well,
actually
> I think he said that there was no such thing as a stupid question, but i'm
> not sure I believe him...) But maybe a separate e-mail would be best for
that.

Don't be afraid to ask questions (that's how you end up creating FAQ!). The
rules of the thumb is: when in doubt ask (especially if you don't understand
something in my mails (english is not my first langage ;-) )!

> I look forward to the opportunity to work with y'all, and to contribute
> what I can to the project.

You're welcome !

Baptiste.

> Brian