[FR-devel] Updates in CVS on all plugins, and more

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: [FR-devel] Updates in CVS on all plugins, and more
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 00:24:23 -0400

I updated the plugin architecture by creating a module in the
/freebase/plugin.rb file named FreeBASE::StandardPlugin.  This module is
used by the plugins to get default behaviors for each of the transitions
(load/start/stop/unload).  The default behavior is to transition to the
next state.  The normal thing for a plugin writer to do is 'override'
the class/module method "start" and implement some plugin-specific
operations (like creating some class instance, etc).

I then updated and just checked into CVS all of Curt's GUI plugins with
support for this architecture.  It cleans up the code considerably.
NOTE:  It does not change the behavior in any way.  It's still a rather
unique (i.e. learning curve) overall architecture w/the databus and
slot-based information coordination.

Since Curt is out of town, and since I am most familiar with the basic
plugin architecture I am going to study his code in detail and update
all of his ruby files with RDoc compatible comments.  I'll also update
the Wiki with what I learn.

Regards,

Rich