[FR-devel] GUI Framework

From: NISHIO Mizuho
Subject: [FR-devel] GUI Framework
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:40:55 +0900

Currently, FreeRIDE GUI Framework has three layers.

The first is the specific GUI library, for example, fox, gtk+, qt, tk and so
on.
(though FreeRIDE supports only fox now.)

The second is the layer which directly uses the modules/classes/methods
defined in the first layer. For example, FreeRIDE::EditPaneRenderFox::Renderer,
FreeRIDE::MenuPaneRenderFox::Renderer.

The third is the layer which plugin developers mainly use.
This layer is defined in plugins/System_GuiCore and plugins/System_Commands.

Now, the second and third layer depends on FreeBASE.
But, in my opinion, the second layer should be independent of FreeBASE.

Plugin Developers should not use the second layer. At least,
they should not show other plugins the second layer's interface of
their plugin through FreeBASE. If so, it seems that the second layer
doesn't need to depend on FreeBASE.
Off cource, we should make some functions of the second layer
accessible through FreeBASE.(For example, '/sysytem/ui/fox')
And, instead of FreeBASE, the second layer will be accessed by
the third layer's function(for example, FreeRIDE::EditPane#renderer)

In addition to it, I think that the FreeRIDE GUI Framework itself
will be useful and that some people will want to use it
as the part of their application.

How about it?

NISHIO Mizuho
e-mail address@hidden