RE: [FR-devel] Source Browser [was Editor API?]

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Source Browser [was Editor API?]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:55:55 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> > It may be possible to synchronize the source with
> > the source browser automatically. But, to achieve this,
> > the Editor pane creation event and the Editor pane change event
> > must be hooked. I hope Editor API discussion solves this problem.
> >

> THis is a good example of what the Editor API could bring. Which
> probably means enhancing the EditPane plugin to allow another plugin
> to listen an a subslot of the EditPane slot where events are posted.
> However I'm not sure this is  really appropriate to trigger the source
> browser update each time a new character is typed. May be the simple
> mechanism I explained above is enough in practice.

A Possible Design Idea...

In my Java version of the databus, the way I have done this sort of thing is
have a listener-filter that listens to the high-frequency/low-level events
on a slot, performs some sort of analysis (normally using a state-machine),
and then posts some appropriate low-frequency/higher-level events to a
different slot. Listeners on this alternate slot then perform the
appropriate actions when they are notified.

Curt