[FR-devel] Initial import of project capability

From: Richard Kilmer
Subject: [FR-devel] Initial import of project capability
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:58:19 -0400

OK..so the change to support projects is in. Once you check this out, you will notice no real difference. You should remove your ~/.freeride directory (or Documents and Settings/freeride directory on win32) before use. Again, the project stuff is not directly visible right now, but its in there.

Think of this as a first effort, the GUI will follow which visually pulls projects/file browsing together.

If you open a file, then close freeride, that open file will be tracked in the project now instead of as a global property (in the editpane properties file). Each project is contained in a YAML-based file with the extension .frproj. This file is effectively a Properties file. To do anything you need to have a project open. To get over the annoying bootstrap issue (I need to have a project open to edit a freaking file) especially for a scripting language like Ruby, there is a project (default_project) that is opened when all other projects are closed. This is what is happening right now if you use freeride (you are working in the default project...the file is in ~/.freeride/rubyide_projects/default_project.frproj).

I will be enabling opening/creating projects soon (the commands are there, just need the UI). You will also be able to launch freeride with a project file and open that project by default. The last project opened is kept in the project plugin properties file.

I also cleaned up some inconsistencies in how the fox gui widgets were initialized which created problems if you created an abstract component _before_ the renderer plugins were started. This is now all fixed.

I will update soon on how to make use of project properties vs. plugin (global) properties.

I need to sleep (its 2am my time!).

-rich