RE: [FR-devel] what about a SmallTalkish/emacsish FreeRIDE ?

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] what about a SmallTalkish/emacsish FreeRIDE ?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:38:31 -0600

gabriele renzi wrote:

> I've been playing with a pair of smaltallk enviroment
> in these days: VisualWorks and Squeak.
> I started it cause people always says smalltalk is
> Ruby's (grand)father.
>
> Now that even I played with ST I can agree that, yes
> ruby is a bad ripoff of smalltalk, as matz admits :).

First of all, I meant to answer you days ago, but I got busy and forgot
about it -- see my comments further down...

> How does this relates to FR?
> Well, it does someway.
>
> The first concept of IDE came out from SmallTalk ,
> people told me.
> And indeed, it seem that every ST distro (excpet from
> Gnu-smalltalk) comes with an impressive bunch of
> graphical tools.
>
> But the thing that really impressed me is that the IDE
> and the CODE are actually one thing.
> You can have your code modify the enviroment at run
> time, and you can explore the inner of the ide from
> the ide itself through yur code.
>
> This is quite impressive, and it ringed a bell in my
> head. Now, I remember that this was the first thing I
> thought about when I heard about a ruby ide written in
> ruby.
>
> So I wonder: would it be possible, and would you be
> interested, in having FR behave
> someway like this ?

I was a smalltalk programmer in the late 1980's, and  agree that there is
much to like about smalltalk. I used to like the monolithic runtime model
until it started to get in my way.

The problem is that it does not lend itself easily for use in projects that
have more than one developer. And since it does not use standard text files,
it does not integrate very well with the rest of the computing universe.
This also makes version control (CVS) a problem.

What I like about Ruby is that it retains most of the advantages of
smalltalk without these limitations.

On the other hand, I think there could be a place for a "super irb" facility
like you describe. I wouldn't personally be interested in it, but others
might. If you decide to develop such a beast, doing it as a FreeRIDE plugin
(or set of plugins) would let you take advantage of all the other FreeRIDE
capabilities.

Curt