freetype-devel

Re: Benchmarks for FreeType VF instance generation?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Benchmarks for FreeType VF instance generation?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 08:06:50 +0100 (CET)

Hello Laurence,

> I wondered if you are able to benchmark timings for VF instance
> generation from FreeType.  I’d like to know how far away my own
> Samsa JavaScript implementation is from FreeType C.

this is an interesting idea!  The natural place to add such code is
FreeType's `ftbench` demo program.

> If you are interested in Samsa timings…
>
> For timings of TTF blob creation in the browser, see:
> https://lorp.github.io/samsa/src/samsa-speedtest.html
>
> For timings of TTF file creation, use samsa-cli.js on the command
> line.
>
> Repo: https://github.com/Lorp/samsa

Thanks.  Alas, I'm quite busy with other things right now (especially
after the transition of the FreeType repository to
gitlab.freedesktop.org).

Do you have interest and time to extend `ftbench`?

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype-demos/-/blob/master/src/ftbench.c

The idea is to add another test that is run only if the font is
identified as a VF.  I guess the total amount of necessary code is
less than 50 lines.

    Werner