freetype

Re: Interested in your GSOC project

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Interested in your GSOC project
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 07:50:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Kunwar,

> The programming knowledge I currently posses restricts itself to
> only one language which is C.  Your GSOC project titled "Add a
> capability database to FreeType's auto-hinter" has requirements
> falling in domain of my knowledge.  I have written c programs for
> backing up lost images from a FAT32 memory card, encoding decoding
> programs, programs to create a photo editor etc and these are
> toughest projects I have done yet.

OK.

> This being my first step in the world of open sources, I am a little
> sceptical of my capabilities for eligibility.  I would be thankful
> if someone from mentoring team helps me decide if I am the right
> person for this project.

Honestly spoken, the auto-hinter project might be a bit overwhelming
if you have no previous exposure to fonts and/or graphics.

I think that the project 'Improve FreeType demo programs' (or a subset
of it) would be more suitable.  By the way, the C++ code of Qt is not
very complicated – being not a good C++ programmer I was still able to
write the rudimentary `qtinspect` demo program without problems on the
language side (getting the Qt behaviour right is a completely
different thing, though).

    Werner