freetype

Re: OTF font containing multiple faces

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: OTF font containing multiple faces
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:07:32 +1200

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 09:57:18 +0200 (CEST), Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > FT_Open_Face takes a face_index value, can anyone point me to an OTF
> > font that contains more than one face
>
> Look at the Noto CJK fonts, for example
>
>   NotoSerifCJK-Regular.ttc
>
> Inspite of having the extension `.ttc`, those fonts are CFF
> collections.  The above font has four faces:
>
>   Noto Serif CJK JP   (Japanese)
>   Noto Serif CJK KR   (Korean)
>   Noto Serif CJK SC   (Simplified Chinese)
>   Noto Serif CJK TC   (Traditional Chinese)

    ldo@theon:~> file /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto/NotoSerifCJK-Regular.ttc
    /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto/NotoSerifCJK-Regular.ttc: OpenType font
collection data, 1.0, 4 fonts, at 0x1c OpenType Font data, 15 tables, 1st "BASE"
    ldo@theon:~> file /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto/NotoSansCJK-Regular.ttc
    /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto/NotoSansCJK-Regular.ttc: OpenType font
collection data, 1.0, 10 fonts, at 0x34 OpenType Font data, 16 tables, 1st
"BASE"