freetype

How does freetype get the "right" family name

From: Moi15 Moi
Subject: How does freetype get the "right" family name
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 15:53:13 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to understand how does freetype determine what is the "right"
family name.

Why? I am trying to implement the feature in fonttools (
https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools/issues/2623)

So, if possible, I want to know what criteria do you base yourself to know
which name to take in the naming table.

For example, I think your do this:

1- You start by looking if the platform is 3, 1, 0 and finally 2
2- You prefer english name (so when the platform = 1 and the langID = 0 OR
when the platform = 3 and the langID = 1044) over any other name
3- You seems to have a preference for the platformEncodingID, but I still
don't understand it.

Have a good day,
moi15moi