freetype

Font rendering question - unifont-14.0.04.ttf

From: Andrew Murray
Subject: Font rendering question - unifont-14.0.04.ttf
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 16:37:14 +1000

Hi,

Over at Python Pillow, we've had a user raise an issue about the way that
Pillow is rendering characters from unifont-14.0.04.ttf -
https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/6421
<https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/6421>. I took a look, and
concluded that Pillow wasn't doing anything special, but just showing what our
dependency, FreeType, was returning.

The user then opened an issue with FreeType -
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1171
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/issues/1171> The Gitlab
FreeType users concluded that FreeType was working correctly, and that this is
simply how the font behaves. They suggested contacting a mailing list for
further information.

If you have some time, and are so inclined, it would be nice if you were to
look over https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/6421
<https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/6421> and provide any thoughts
you might have.

Thanks.