freetype

Re: non-antialiased font configuration

From: Paul Sheer
Subject: Re: non-antialiased font configuration
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 18:54:21 -0500

Hi Ed, Werner

Ed, I have added monochrome support to cooledit.
See the 'devel' branch: https://github.com/paulsheer/cooledit/tree/devel

try:
   cooledit -fn LiberationMono-Regular.ttf:16M

See screenshot.

Note that cooledit has a builtin unicode terminal on Shift-F1, so if
it is a terminal you want, then this gets you there.

Werner, I tend to agree that downstream vendors ought to be
responsible for proper configuration options. The problem is that they
don't listen to users and don't support tail use cases. It is probably
prudent to have an override on certain settings. Until then if I were
Ed, I would get the Ubuntu source package and change
FT_Load_Glyph/FT_Render_Glyph in the freetype source to only render
monochrome. Luckily freetype is a DLL, so it takes effect for every
dependent package.

BTW I have never used Kanything.

Kind regards

Paul