fsf-community-team

[fsf-community-team] Philippines Acer Linpus thing

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: [fsf-community-team] Philippines Acer Linpus thing
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:16:52 +1300

Any Philippines people here?
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/acer-bad-distro

Acer have rolled out linpus netbooks with a broken installation.
FSF are taking the usual confrontational line - this never works.

In NZ we have had a similar issue with the Acer Aspire 4315
mini-notebook which was sold through a major retailer in NZ with a
hobbled installation of Ubuntu 7.10

http://www.hbclinux.net.nz/acer4315.html

In addition to a shockingly inadequate install, they also supplied
documentation blaming gnu/linux for the inadequacies.

The effective approach was to support the offering, making a big noise
about it. We also provided Acer NZ with a working oem install disk for
the machine, which I demonstrated at a meeting of the top execs. They
were happy to use it to upgrade the machines which had yet to be
delivered as well as make it available to retailers.

This was a win-win and introduced this very conservative company to the
advantages of working with the free software community.

Perhaps a Philippines community member would like to make an Ubuntu NBR
oem install disk for the linpus netbooks? (I'd do it but a) I don't have
a netbook and b) this initiative needs to be local) This is not hard and
it is possible to make a free software only version (exception - must
use ubuntu kernel) too.

Offer it to the netbook user community there as well as acer.