fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] Argument from economic nessesity

From: Mike VandeVelde
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Argument from economic nessesity
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:51:45 -0800

Simon Bridge wrote:
Curiously, and in the face of "gnu/linux is not ready for the desktop",
it is the day-to-day desktop that is the first target.

Curiously, to the curious ;-)

In the private sector, there are lots of inquiries with the big hurdle
of the moment being support and some people worried about the future of
software development.

Worried about the future of software development??

Private companies have made a virtue out of greed and self interest so
their management are not very open to a community spirit as a support
guarantee however well proven. They want to know their support is paid
for. (Why would someone act in my interests if I don't own them?)

Yes! For those sorts of people, they are free to keep paying (embracing freedom does not mean they need to stop paying). If that's what makes them comfortable. Even having that sort of conversation is a step in the right direction though. Just remember that free software won't die without their support, it doesn't hurt to politely remind them of that, and frame the conversation that way. "You know, there is another way..."

Some sort of overview of what successful business models have been used
would be useful here.

Yeah maybe.

There is a feeling that we have to be careful not to rock the boat. I
just try to make sure we do not lose sight of our core aims ... do we
really need these companies on board? Well: some people are eyeing up
lucrative contracts.

These companies are welcome to jump on board, but no they really aren't needed. Approach from a position of power: "I'm a Free (Wo/)Man. If you are interested, I can tell you a bit about it." If the response is "I don't believe it, it can't be, there must be a catch", then the come back is "it's been happening for 20 years (forever really) and it won't slow down without you". Lucrative contracts are great and all, but the boat is already rocking - don't cave in and plead.

This is very similar to the media companies - their behavior suggests
they have no idea why anyone pays for their "product". Why go to the
movies when you can wait a bit for the DVD? Why watch one movie and not
another? Why pay for a DVD when you can download the ripped version for
free? The DRM systems answer by saying that you will pay for a movie
because you are forced to. Creates an illusion of security for the
people who put up the money. To someone in this mindset, creating a
situation where people can watch what they want has got to be scary -
especially if you suspect your competitors will keep using force.

You get the same under vendor lock-in.

I have to keep reminding people that "pragmatic" is a word lawyers use
when they mean "immoral"

The illusion is of scarcity. Like there are only so many ideas out there, better buy some while the buying is good, and hope the supply doesn't dry up. When really there is nothing that isn't based on what came before, and no matter how hard they've tried throughout history creativity has never been crushed. When you fence off the commons and charge admission, innovation slows down. All this intellectual property crap is a heavy heavy burden on society, stifling the progression of novelty. Be afraid, or don't be afraid, things will keep getting more interesting either way. We pick the winning team - cooperating to expand the commons - victory is inevitable!

Hehe, that's me. I do a lot of work with Lotus Notes, on one side that's given me a lot of practice dealing with haters, on the other side that makes me proprietary satan spawn (in some little defense there is http://www.openntf.org/ with an option for GPL). I use free software where I can, even in some places where it isn't exactly easy, but I use proprietary software in a lot of situations where I probably don't truly need to. So either kick me out of this club now, or you'll regret it later! Muwahaha!!

Mike VandeVelde

ps - instead of a boring overview of successful business models, how about a more interesting list of historical unsuccessful attempts to crush creativity?
-Galileo and the Inquisition
-Capoeira
-the survival of potlatch culture
-rock 'n roll is the devil's music