fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Re-starting the FSFC

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Re-starting the FSFC
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:11:44 -0400

Note: I'm glad the conversation is continuing, even if extremely slow...

Reid Ellis wrote:
It sounds like you want two separate entities. One to forward technological pursuits, and another to forward political pursuits.

An interesting question is whether we need an FSF in Canada, or whether there are aspects that are already being taken care of in other groups? Do we unite, or remain divided for those tasks?

As an example, while we don't have an EFF in Canada we do have Online Rights Canada (ORC), and CIPPIC.

We don't have an FSF or OSI, but we do have CLUEcan.ca (Note: I am the policy coordinator there). My personal alignment is with the Free Software movement (for both practical and political reasons), I believe it is useful to work with those who either align themselves with Open Source or those who simply don't know or care about the differences.

When it comes to software, I don't believe replicating the GNU project in Canada makes sense. We do need to have an organization that can apply for grants and other such things, and coordinate getting appropriate projects onto IRCan (the soon-to-be launched SourceForge for the Government of Canada), but it doesn't have to be connected with the FSF or the GNU project. It can in fact be a project of CLUE.

The missing piece is an advocacy group that specifically advocates for the human rights-based approach to FLOSS that is advocated by the Free Software part of the larger FLOSS movement. We need a group willing to talk to politicians not just about the engineering proficiency, scientific peer review, and cost reduction advocated by the Open Source camp, but those who see the accountability and transparency of software that runs on personal computers (the rules that govern those computers) from a public policy/human rights perspective.

 2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
 Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.
 Send a letter to your Canadian MP! --> http://digital-copyright.ca/