fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] A first time hello

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] A first time hello
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:44:06 -0500

Russell McOrmond wrote:
I'm feeling underwhelmed by the response. What we need to find is people with the energy to put some focus on this. FSFC has my support, but unfortunately I can only give support to someone else and not do it myself (I'm focused on digital-copyright.ca , GOSLINGcommunity.org and related stuff).

For what it's worth, I am willing to help and to participate. However, I don't think I'm fit or able to do it myself either. For one, I'm still a student (third year computer science at UofT). I'd be happy to collaborate with others to get something going though.

If you check the archives at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfc-discuss/ you will notice that the discussion of past attempts at getting charitable status. There seems to be the suggestion that without the charitable status there is no point to there being an FSF chapter in Canada. I don't agree, and believe that there is more than just the GNU project (IE: funding of software development) that is relevant for an FSF Canada to do. I hear of FSF India hosting conferences, being active in public policy work, and so-on.

It is (or should be) clear that the policy work needed in Canada is very different than the policy work needed in the USA.

I agree that there is much more to be done outside of funding software development. I think there is still an important role to play without charitable status.