fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.

From: Fran?cois Gagnon
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:08:49 -0500

Hi everyone.

Since I joined this mailing list, I read a few messages coming from newcomers and old members. It seems to be the general consensus that doing something with the FSF-C is crucial, that we want to do it, but that the timing is not appropriate right now.

We are wrong.

Not totally wrong, though. I personally think that the implementation of the FSF-C is a priority, and that I want to participate. I mean that we are wrong by thinking that this is not the right time.

We need the FSF-C.

We need to form, now, the Free Software Foundation - Canada. More importantly, we have to take the leadership in matters of software freedom in Canada.

We need to have a serious discussion about our mission.

While we work towards the official creation of the FSF-C, we will have to elaborate a precise mission statement. I trust our open minds and respectful discussions to lead us there.

We need to spread the word, and coordinate this movement.

We all come from different places. We all probably already participate in some sort of activities to promote software freedom. This is what makes the strength of this movement. Let's spread the word about the FSF-C, in order to take the leadership without stealing any spotlight, attract members without interfering with allies and friends, and work twice as hard for our common cause

WHAT TO DO NOW.

And tell us how you are willing to participate. Don't be shy : Everybody here has a job/a main ooccupation and therefore cannot care about this 24/7.

I suggest questions that would be important to answer, as a group.
- What do you think should the FSF-C's first mission? first priority? charity status?
- What do you think should we keep away from?
- How do you think should we externally organize the FSF-C? with the FSF? with already existing groups?
- How do you think should we internally organize the FSF-C?
- Moreover, what can we concretely do for the cause of software freedom?

---

I am eager to hear from you, and to work with you on this project. I will try to manage your responses the best I can, and will provide my input soon!

Regards,

François Gagnon