fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] A first time hello

From: Mirko Lindner
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] A first time hello
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:46:28 +0100

Hi again,

I think storming to the front without any goal or idea settled is the wrong approach, although I like the initiative.

The question we should ask ourselves, looking from my perspective, is, what we can do in the near future without having to establish any form of legal entity. Where lie the needs of the Free Software Movement in Canada? Would it maybe be best to coordinate some kind of public discussion to figure out what needs to be done? As far as I understand there is only a small amount of people on this mailinglist, but I am sure there is many more people that are interested and we need to get those involved as well. So I think what we on this mailinglist should focus on is a Canadian summit of Free Software Activists, Organisations already dealing with Free Software and anyone who wants to discuss the possibility, to build a strong community as a basis for a future foundation or organisation of any kind.

Maybe a FSF-Canada is not needed as such, but instead an organisation that focuses on building relationships between the users and the businesses using Free Software or maybe a lobby group is needed to reach the government itself. These are questions that need to be answered before we get into writing a charta.

/Mirko