fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.

From: Mirko Lindner
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:25:39 +0100

On 6 Mar 2008, at 01:20, David Henry wrote:

Fran?cois Gagnon wrote:
I suggest questions that would be important to answer, as a group.
- What do you think should the FSF-C's first mission? first priority?
charity status?
- What do you think should we keep away from?
- How do you think should we externally organize the FSF-C? with the
FSF? with already existing groups?
- How do you think should we internally organize the FSF-C?
- Moreover, what can we concretely do for the cause of software
freedom?

Just to be absolutely clear, I think the first priority -- considering
we are 'borrowing' the name of an existing, well-known organization (the
Free Software Foundation) -- is to have an excellent relationship with
the FSF.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this:
http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Main_Page

It seems the first thing to do is get up to speed on what it should or
should not mean to use the fsf.ca domain name -- which means, bluntly 'a
foundation' -- and put some thought into that.
I do disagree the fsf part is simply three letters which could also stand for Free Software Forum , which seems to be more like the kind of lobbying you wanted to do. I am not sure but I think there is no legal limitation to using an abbreviation such as fsfc and it not meaning Free Software Foundation Canada...

We might then want to
each write up a 'vision statement' about what we want to and can
contribute our individual efforts towards.

I would, for the time being, like to get a careful look at the
charitable status application.  Despite the fact that it is an onerous
process, it is sometimes possible and may be very worthwhile over the
long term.  And because of how being a charitable status organization
might prevent certain types of activities -- like heavy lobbying -- we
should nail a decision on it asap.

Charitable status, btw, should *not* be construed in any way as a
preference of mine.  What I'd much rather do is start something called
the Canadian Free Software Council, and get straight to the user rights
lobbying.  But foundations, which can fund things, are in such short
supply....

All the best,
David Henry