fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.

From: David Henry
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:26:03 -0600

On Thu, 2008-06-03 at 08:25 +0100, Mirko Lindner wrote:
> I am not sure but I think there is no legal limitation to using an
> abbreviation such as fsfc and it not meaning Free Software
> Foundation
> Canada...

Somewhere in the double negative I missed another question that seems so
obvious now: "Is there any legal limitation on calling ourselves a
foundation if we are *not* specifically a charity, aka public
foundation?"

I'm too snowed right now to attempt to answer this, but will try to get
to it this week or early next.  My instinct is that there is no such
legal restraint, and that a 'think tank' can be called a foundation.

However, I do want to also comment that I think Mirko's idea of maybe
using the name Free Software Forum has some merit.

More to think about, other FSFs around the world:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/
http://www.fsf.org.in/
http://www.fsfla.org/

All good things,