fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.

From: David Henry
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:41:34 -0500

Somewhat amused by Russ and me writing similar emails at the same
time....

On Sat, 2008-08-03 at 11:29 -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> What I'm hoping, and what I'd like to transfer the domain names
> eventually to, is a Canadian equivalent of what I see with FSF Europe
> http://www.fsfeurope.org/ and http://fsf.org.in/

I agree that these stand as an ideal example.

I'm all for everyone working towards that, right away.

I'm still concerned that we need to discuss the use of the fsf.ca and
fsfc.ca domain names more fully.  So....

What I expect is that we are talking two different organizations (a
foundation on one hand and a policy council on the other) -- that there
is a need for both, and room for both.  Some of us might even want to
work for both....

Now, you might wonder why I think a charitable public foundation is
important.  The short answer is that it is the best protection for a
long-haul approach to any public interest project.

If you've done fundraising, you eventually learn that self-financing --
like going door-to-door, and/or an annual fundraising event, and/or
selling shirts, etc. -- is not hard, but needs a lot of attention to
*maintain*.  It can suck up a lot of focus.  And then you find that
government funding is fickle at best and non-existent if there is no
perceived public pressure.  The trend today is also to reduce it
substantially.

With foundations -- and many people are surprised at how many
foundations there are, and how much funding they do, and how big a chunk
of the massive volunteer sector[0] they provide for -- it is not always
easy to get in the door, but sustainable funding is actually possible.
In fact, they are often set up for long-haul efforts.

The problem is that foundations tend to have a fairly narrow focus.

What I expect is that we are going to need more and more constant public
education campaigns -- that efforts to commodify everything will only
get more persistent, and will have to be fought harder.  A secure
funding source will someday pay off.

But setting up a foundation is definitely *not* for everyone.  It is
fussy, slow work.  However, even if we don't have the people to want to
do that work right now, we may find they show up over the next while.
I'd rather keep that door open.

All the best,
David Henry

0. Satellite account of non-profit institutions and volunteering
   http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/061208/d061208a.htm