fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:20:00 -0500

On 12-01-23 01:41 AM, Rudolf wrote:
Aren't there ways to get around forming a formal organization to support
Free Software in Canada? Or are there other simpler organizations that
can be formed to support the activities of various Canadian groups?

Whether you need a formal organization or not depends on what you want to do.

In Ottawa we meet weekly to discuss FLOSS in Government, under the banner of "Getting Open Source Logic INto Governments" http://GOSLINGcommunity.org . Since we don't "do" anything or "own" anything, and have no money flowing through us, there is no organisation. It is just a website and mailing list that is used along with a weekly gathering to get people together.

CLUE exists http://cluecan.ca , but they are also more of an "open source" organisation (Focus is on the non-political engineering benefits of FLOSS). I believe we need to have an organisation that isn't shy about the political aspects, and is willing to organise the necessary political campaigns in Canada. CLUE is also needing new volunteers, as not much has been happening beyond my volunteer policy work.

If you want to take donations that can help fund software projects or do campaigns, like what the GNU project and the FSF is able to do in the USA and elsewhere in the world, then an organization is needed. If we want these donations to be charitable, even more paperwork/formality is needed.

If you look back in the archives you will see an attempt was made to do the paperwork to get charity status, but that didn't work. I have not seen the paperwork, and it may be best to simply try again.

If there are people truly willing to put time into this, then I'll jump in and do my part as well. Once we have a core group I can approach CIPPIC.ca (also here in Ottawa) who may have lawyers/students willing to do probono some of the legal filings necessary to get us started.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own