fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello

From: Jerald Vanderraad
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:25:04 -0800

We do not have any LibrePlanet organization here in Vancouver, but I'm
sure there are enough people in the woodwork to form a small group. I'm
lurking in #lp-ca-bc, just in case.

I think the concept of local LibrePlanet groups across the country
working in concert for our needs in Canada is a really good foundation
to start with. It looks like there are folks on the list here who are
politically connected to some degree, so that could help tie the
Canadian LibrePlanet groups together when we wish to work on any
initiatives at a federal level.

So, I think we could:

(in FSF style)

0. Network locally and gather the troops
1. Figure out a raison d'etre nationally. Would our efforts be
redundant?
2. Engage politically.
3a. Incorporate a non-profit
3b. Register as a charity

As has been said, it may be hard to get people fired up for free
software to the point where we will be receiving a lot of monetary
contributions. We could see donations from the corporate community, but
that would pretty much necessitate charitable status. The charity
designation does bring a lot more complexity to this proposal, OTOH it
would be hard to operate and do outreach effectively without it. We'll
have to weigh that up, and it should become clearer in time.

my 0.02

I hope to be in Boston on March 24/25, and I agree with you Fabian, that
would be a good time to get things in gear.

Regards,
jerald