fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Fwd: Re: "FSF Canada"

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Fwd: Re: "FSF Canada"
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:31:34 -0500

Forwarding with permission

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: "FSF Canada"
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:13:47 -0500
From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
To: Russell McOrmond <russell at flora.ca>
CC: rms at gnu.org, johns at gnu.org

Don't worry -- this isn't a group trying to start an FSF that isn't a branch of the US FSF, but a group discussing what we need to do to help
    grow the FSF into Canada.

The thing is, both of those paths have problems.  The FSF does not
have any branches, and we would not know how to have one.  "Growing
into Canada" is difficult if that involves an organization which is
legally separate.

On the other hand, you could easily do things for the FSF in Canada,
working for the FSF's staff.  We could set up a separate fund for
donations to be used in Canada, with the proviso that if it doesn't
get enough money to do something special in Canada, we would want to
be able to use the funds some other way.