fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property r

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property rights (Was: Re: "FSF Canada" )
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:57:00 -0500

    Petition for Users Rights

The conclusion of this petition is good.
I have a criticism of an important premise, though.

    THAT the Copyright Act is properly recognised as being a careful balance
    between the rights of creators and the rights of the public (including
    viewers, readers and listeners);

I disagree with that understanding of copyright: it makes an
unwarranted concession to copyright holders.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html for
an argument that it is a misinterpretation of the US Constitution.
I don't know how much that argument would apply to Canadian law,
but I think the conclusion is morally valid anywhere.

    THAT the Supreme Court of Canada unanimously affirmed this view in CCH
    Canadian Ltd v Law Society of Upper Canada;

You know something about about what the court said, and I don't.
However, it could be interesting to study it to see if it cn be
interpreted as endorsing the stronger position I take -- that the
purpose of copyright law is primarily for the sake if the readers.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation