fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] 'DRM'/'TPM' + another thought

From: David C Dawson
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] 'DRM'/'TPM' + another thought
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:24:37 -0800

Quick response --
I regard these strictly as concepts:
I think of 'TPM' as a superset of 'DRM'.
Both are a convenient fiction.
They both give a 'rights holder' cart blanche, up to a point.
but 'TPM' provides more scope for abuse - terrifyingly so in my view.

I sent the link to Matthew Skala's excellent article because
I thought his line of reasoning could be developed further to
encompass 'TPM'

I think, already that his article demonstrates the sort of thinking
from which the 'DRM' concept came - that is, 'DRM' is supposed to be
able to make 'content' 'change colour' if 'DRM' is circumvented.

That might be fuzzy thinking in my feeble old brain. but there it is.

Is it useful and/or possible to ask Matthew Skala for his input on this?
/Dave