fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property r

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Petition to protect Information Technology property rights (Was: Re: "FSF Canada" )
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:55:26 -0500

What you say suggests we should have a new petition specifically
against digital handcuffs.  And I really mean _against_ them.  It
should call for banning digital handcuffs, or at least helping and
encouraging the users to break them.

(General political principle: don't campaign for the status quo,
campaign for a change in the direction we want.)

The petition could say that the proponents of these malfeatures
call them TPMs, but that we won't use their term because we don't
accept its presuppositions.

      In order to ensure signatures would be accepted
    we would need to go through the process of getting the new text validated
    through the Private Members Business Office, just as we did with the
    existing petitions.

What's involved in this validation?

Of course, if there isn't time to do this, we must choose some other
path.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation