fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11

From: Rudolf O.
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 22:05:09 -0500

Do we need space on a wiki somewhere to collaborate on this?

I can take a crack at writing a letter but I think it would be beneficial to list and gather facts here or on a wiki. Collaborating at least for the research will make this much easier to write.

Less emotive language and arguments should be used in the letter, right?

Russell McOrmond <address@hidden> wrote:

Today we enter the second week of witnesses at C-11 committee, with
the end of March being the end of committee discussion. I wanted to let
people know what I've been up to, and to also ask if anyone has taken on
the task that Mr. Stallman recommended for us.

I attended each of the 4 committee meetings last week in person, and
live-tweeted them. I know Identi.ca is better (Canadian and FLOSS),
but the politicians are reading and participating in Twitter hash tag
#C11, so that is where I need to be. I have then used my notes
(tweets) to author a blog posting at http://c11.ca/com which summarises
the thoughts I had during the meeting.

I also posted a message with what I see as a theme emerging at the
C-11 legislative committee http://c11.ca/5426 . "While the governing
Conservatives have the copyright policy right, they have the
non-copyright policy wrong. The official opposition NDP have the
non-copyright policy right, but have the copyright policy wrong. The
lonely Liberal is just doing what he can to get a question or comment in
from time to time."

That wording is intended to encourage Conservative readers to
separate the technological measures aspect of the bill from the rest of
the bill, with greater possibility that they might then amend it. If we
come out against the entire bill I believe it will either make us seem
like we didn't read it, or make it seem we are opposed to copyright in
general: both of which will make it too easy to ignore us.

I am hoping that being there in person, tweeting, and blogging the
meetings allows for some influence on the discussion both with committee
members and with the general public. I want to ensure that the
interests of technology owners are recognised, and also that more in the
public will get upset at the technological measures aspect of the bill
and write (call, meet with, etc) their own MPs.

I have two meetings with MPs this week: one alone with an NDP MP not
in the committee, and one with a group to talk to the Liberal MP in the
committee about C-11.

I also did an interview with Jesse Brown for Search Engine
http://searchengine.tvo.org which will be out this week (Note: took
advise from some people and spoke aggressively on the issue, but after
thought that might have been a mistake. You be the judge, and tell me).

This gets us to a task I hope someone (or group) in these lists will
take on. Mr. Stallman has offered to use the FSF's large mailing list
to get a message from us to all members. At first a petition was
suggested, but there is no time for a new petition. We have an
existing petition (TPMs one), and we have the possibility of a letter
writing campaign which we can do quickly. What Mr. Stallman needs is
text from us to send to members. We've authored and peer reviewed these
types of things before, so it should be easy. I'm just needing to
leave it to someone else as I'm spending my time at committee (and the
prep/post work related to blogging).

Once the letter is authored we can send it out to all our
contacts/lists/etc as well.

Takers? Lets please not give up the offer by Mr. Stallman.

--
Russell McOrmond, Internet Consultant: <http://www.flora.ca/>;
Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own

fsfc-discuss mailing list
address@hidden