fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time of ma

From: David Dawson
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time of magic
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 05:53:10 -0700

An analogy to TPM
If TPM is considered to be a sort of bullet-proof jacket -- to be precise: a
jacket that is 'deemed to be bullet-proof',  and if 'circumventing' the jacket
means firing a (special) bullet through it, then we have an analogy to TPM.
Continuing the analogy, if a special bullet penetrated a jacket (deemed to be
bullet-proof) which was being worn by a person at the time (think:
copy-protected), then the person would probably suffer a serious wound.
In this analogy, the government's position would not just prohibit shooting at
jackets (deemed to be bullet-proof) being worn, but jackets (deemed to be
bullet-proof) hanging on a clothes-rack, being tested at an independent
jacket-testing laboratory, and so-on.
It would, as well as 'protecting' 'rightful' jacket-wearers, also protect
illegitimate jacket-wearers (ie patent or copyright *infringers*).
/Dave Dawson
   There is some interesting chatter on other forums that might be worth
looking at, and participating in the comments.  Mr Corcoran is
influential for that generation that still reads newspapers (which is
most of our politicians), and those on the political "right" that are
currently in government.  He is a good example of the type of
technologically illiterate people within the content industry that are
being used as powerful pawns in the "Copyfight".

In the order they were published:

Terence Corcoran: Copyright ­lockdown
http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/03/13/terence-corcoran-copyright-%C2%ADlockdown/
    - Mr Corcoran's commentary on those of us who are rightfully
disagreeing with the lockdown that was already in C-11 in the form of
non-owner digital locks, as well as the SOPA type provisions that were
threatened (but didn't yet get included in Canadian law).

Audio Podcast #129: Digitally Locked
http://searchengine.tvo.org/blog/search-engine-blog/audio-podcast-129-digitally-locked
   - audio blog by Jesse Brown interviewing Financial Post editor
Terence Corcoran theoreticaly on digital locks.  There are some
interesting ongoing discussion in comments.

Technological measures in a land of myth and a time of magic
http://c11.ca/5448
   - my longer blog reply to Jesse's interview, where I comment on
whether I would agree with Mr Corcoran if there was actually some magic
technology that worked the way he mistakenly thought technological
measures did.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://l.c11.ca/ict

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own