fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] C-11

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] C-11
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:43:42 -0400

On 12-05-16 03:19 PM, David C Dawson wrote:
certainly, my metaphor is flawed, but then, so is the whole TPM
concept. Please, if the 'snare' metaphor is useful, I would
like some feedback. Thanks

It is an interesting thought experiment to explain the harm from the intended consequences of TPM policy. I think it will be useful in that context.

....but.... :-)

If I understand the analogy correctly, we are talking about a snare trying to catch someone doing something "wrong" (IE: snare applied to copyrighted content to catch a copyright infringer). You then discuss the harm of that.

This would fall what I consider the "Harry Potter" version of the TPM debate: that what we are talking about is an incantation that a *copyright holder* does to *copyrighted content* to cause some activity to happen (decision made about what can and can't happen).

We all know that content can't make decisions, any more than the Monster Book of Monsters really attacked Harry Potter. If decisions are made it is in software running on hardware, and who authored the software (and their motivations and conflicts of interest) and who owns the hardware are the critical issues.

At the point where decisions are actually made (in software running on hardware), the copyright holder has no influence. They really are technologically illiterate pawns in a much larger game being played by the technologically literate. We should be offering them pity and education, rather than fear or anger.

The snare analogy focuses on copyright holders, content, and a Harry Potter incantation that we are using snares to clarify the harm.

But the larger harm isn't about copyright holders, content, or their audiences: it is about software authors and hardware owners, and the all-too-hidden interactions between them.

All that said: Elizabeth May gets a lot of points in my mind for actually listening to Canadians and focusing her amendments on what a majority of people said during the consultations. The #1 issue was opposition to TPMs, and the #2 issue was controversy around educational copyright : and that is what her amendments focused on http://c11.ca/5458

Whether she understands the technology or policy in detail doesn't matter as much as the fact that she actually payed attention to Canadians, something I can't say for any of the other MPs (even those I consider to be strong allies in the fight against non-owner TPMs).

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"