fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] the sky is falling!

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] the sky is falling!
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 12:52:06 -0400

On 13-09-02 03:46 PM, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> I'd like to comment on the line "It needs to be drilled into the heads
> of politicians,"
>
> There was a similar conversation on the Digital Copyright Canada mailing
> list years ago[1] in which I made my choice.  We can try to educate the
> politicians in a non-partisan manner [which I whole-heartedly support
> btw!] or bring that knowledge into the system ourselves.

  While I will personally be sticking with the first option for my own
advocacy work, there are of course multiple ways to take the second option.

  One is to become a candidate for a party that is more focused on
related issues, such as Scott's involvement with the Pirate Party.

  There is also nothing inherently opposed to technology property rights
(the term I use for the war against general purpose computing) in any of
the other parties.  We have parties like the Conservatives who list
"property rights" as a founding principle who *should* (if they
understood the issue the right way) be totally behind us, and we also
have a "mistrust large corporations" left (NDP) who should mistrust
handing the keys to *OUR* technology to those untrustworthy technology
transnationals.

  Being a candidate, or possibly an MP, is also only one route.  Parties
have political staffers, and internal policy people.  If you feel
aligned with any of the existing parties on other issues you can become
active and transform those parties to be supportive.  I believe it is a
general lack of technology knowledge, not ill intent towards our
interests, that has caused the backward-facing policies from various
parties/governments/etc.

  The non-partisan work also doesn't need to be focused on MPs, or even
parliamentarians.  As we saw with the anti-competitive push from various
unions inappropriately claiming incumbent telecom companies should be
protected from "Verizon" (even though Verizon was never the issue),
there is a need for technology and related education within Unions,
professional associations, and so-on.  Sometimes we need to remind even
ourselves that "copyright" is only one of many issues abused to attack
technology property rights, and there are many others (and thus other
political opponents such as BellUsOgers).

  I guess I just wanted to remind people that there are many options
under the non-partisan and partisan umbrellas.   And it is always a good
idea to keep the conversation going so we'll be aware of what each other
is doing, and can help even if we haven't chosen that particular path.

  Hi everyone, and glad someone sparks these lists back to life every
once in a while!

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"