fsfe-france-gpl

AW: AW: [Fsfe-france-gpl] Re: GPL and Author law

From: Till Jaeger
Subject: AW: AW: [Fsfe-france-gpl] Re: GPL and Author law
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:19:46 +0200

-Till Jaeger writes:
- > Hello,
- >
- > you can find some information in our article in English (IIC,
-vol.32 1/2001;
- > http://www.tilljaeger.de/art10.pdf, page 13 - 15; but very huge
-file!) or in
- > German: GRUR Int. 1999, 839;
-http://www.ifross.de/ifross_html/art1.html).
- >
-
-       Thanks for the pointers.
-
-       Page 13 says:
-
-"Since according to the copyright concept of the Free Software
-Foundation it is precisely the gain in reputation that represents
-the reward for the programmer, the latter will react all the more
-sensitively to damage to his reputation"
-
-       The Free Software movement (and the Free Software Foundation
-in particular) does not deny that gain in reputation may be part of
-the incentive of someone publishing Free Software. However, the
-Free Software movement and the Free Software Foundation said in many
-occasions that viewing this as the primary incentive is incorrect.

Gain in reputation is surely not the only or the most important motivation
but most programmers I spoke to think this is an important point.

-
-       People are altruistics, people do things for moral reasons.
-People pushing Free Software for education do it so that their
-children live in a better world. I know some people thought they
-discovered why people write Free Software when they realized that it
-may bring them some fame. These people have difficulties thinking that
-individuals often do things for purely altruistic reasons.
-
-       Because of that, I think it is incorrect to assume that
-Free Software developers are motivated by gain in reputation.
-
-       I have an additional question you may be able to answer.  Is
-there an example of a software author who successfuly enforced his
-moral rights ? That may help us understand the situation better.

I don't know any example. Because of credit lists and so on there is mostly
no violation of moral rights.