fsfe-france

[Fsfe-france] Citation de Robin Milner sur les brevets logiciels

From: Laurent GUERBY
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Citation de Robin Milner sur les brevets logiciels
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:09:08 +0100

Turing Award en 1991.

http://nick.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~martinb/interviews/milner/

<<
Q: What do you make of the increasing patenting ideas in computing?

A: It's terrifying. It's ridiculous and terrifying at the same time.

Q: I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some patent application
of some minor variant of the Pi-Calculus or some typing system. Is that
something you discuss with your peers when you have your government
advisory meetings?

A: I haven't done recently. I am aware that people ought to be doing
this. I signed a petition the other day which went on behalf of several
European academics to the European Parliament. But I must admit that we
are interested in ideas that can be patented and that enormous damage
could be done by an invention, for example in nano-technology, that
could conceal some kind of misunderstanding. I think we should fight,
but can't claim to have done much fighting myself.