fsfe-freedom

Re: [Fsfe-freedom] The 4 freedoms

From: João Miguel Neves
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-freedom] The 4 freedoms
Date: 20 Jul 2001 01:31:37 +0100

On 20 Jul 2001 00:09:47 +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
>  > 1) freedom to use the software for anything we want.
>  > 2) freedom to adapt the software to what we want.
>  > 3) freedom to share the software with others.
>  > 4) freedom to share the adapted software with others.
>  >

>       We usually say that one of the freedom is to be able to study
> the software (which requires access to the source code). The other
> freedoms (shortly: use, modify, copy) are nicely written :-)

I think the freedom to modify requires the freedom to study, but you're
right, one can modify without the source code (and again, the same can
be said for studying or maybe I just know to many people that do reverse
engineering...).

>       Could you send me the four freedoms including the one I suggested
> above ? I'll then add you to the page.

OK:
1) freedom to use the software for anything we want.
2) freedom to adapt the software to what we want.
3) freedom to share the software or adapted versions of the software with
others.
4) freedom to learn how and why the software works.

--
                                                Joao Miguel Neves