[Fsfe-uk] ECDL - European Computer Driving Licence & Free software

From: Robert Munro
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] ECDL - European Computer Driving Licence & Free software
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 01:41:19 +0100

Is is possible to complete the sylabus for the European Computer Driving
Licence using only free software (and I mean free as in freedom, not
download and hope!) Glancing through the Sylabus, it should be possible with
Gnome, Netscape and Openoffice, except for possibly the database module.
Items like the below have a very restricted view of what a database is, and
that view is MS Access.

5.1.1.4 - Save a database onto the hard disk or a diskette
5.1.2.2 - Modify toolbar display.are obviously not assesing databases as
such, but
5.3.2.2 - Change background colours in form layout.

Also the way it just says 5.2.1.1 Design and plan a database as though it's
as easy as 5.1.1.1 Open a database application is just silly. Designing and
planning databases is a huge undertaking.

The reason I ask this is that I think that if it were possible to do the
course on free software people would. It would give free software a lot of
credibility if you could do a beginners course in it, and then be a fully
fledged linux user. The course could give students a distribution to take
home.

Robert Munro