[Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:37:31 +0100

Marxism 2003 is an annual conference, of about 5000-6000 left wing political
activists. It is held in and around the University of London, and this year
runs from the afternoon Friday 4th June to the afternoon Friday 11th June.
All parts of the political spectrum from the Labour left leftwards are
represented.

I propose, to tackle the shocking ignorance within the left, that the AFFS
should hold a stall at Marxism 2003. This level of ignorance extend to many
who work in IT, including at one time the SWP's system administrator, this is
despite the fact support for Free Software can be deduced from basic
principles of the far left parties (including the SWP).

Unfortunately out of the 200+ meetings, none of them cover computers in any
way. Hopefully if we can raise awareness of Free Software, it would be
possible to change this for next year. Additionally we could hold a fringe
meeting.

PS. The SWP has always maintained that stainlist Russia et al, were not
communist, but were in fact state capitalist. The word "communist" has been
corrupted in a similar fashion to the way "hacker" has been.

--
Timothy Baldwin
Member WYLUG, SWP, ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition (and AFFS tomorrow)