Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:47:30 +0100

I don't believe it would be appropriate for AFFS to have an official
presence at this event.

What would be considered as an official presence?

A desk with leaflets and energetic members willing to chat about the need for software freedom is all what would be needed in any party political convention.

I thought there was a special reason for attending Marxism 2003 ..... to highlight the hypocritical practices of the system admins of the SWP.

Maybe more information and introductory leaflets stating our position as purely software freedom related is needed. In fact there are other resources dedicated to marxist free software campaigners to avoid some of the common misunderstandings we might have experienced in the past (ie, point away for any party political animal who misses the point).

I don't have a problem if individuals want to promote free software
within their own political parties, but that's something which should
be done independently of AFFS.

I think we should still help co-ordinate though. AFFS is here to help people promote Free Software; leaving people on their own in certain
situations seems a bit arbitrary.

I do understand the point about being as 'political' (i.e., communist). I rather suspect people would make up their mind anyway, to be honest.
Agreed..... as a seperate issue to moral justifications people are not aware of the alternatives and how organised these alternatives can be.
They need to know of this, firsthand.

Best regards,

Ramanan