Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Mike Taylor
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:26:39 +0100

> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:09:16 +0100
> From: Chris Croughton <address@hidden>
>
> Would the organisation take a stall at a pro-capitalism or a
> pro-globalisation rally?  That would be needed for balance, I think.

In theory I agree with you.  In practice I think it would be a
complete waste of time, because the pro-capitalism people tend to be
pro it because they've done well under it and therefore have a lot of
money.  Like it or not, the initial thing that draws nearly everyone
to Free Software is the as-in-beer aspect (and understanding of the
ultimately more important as-in-speech aspect comes later).  But free
beer is much more exciting to penniless Marxist than to a wedged-up
suit-wearer who's probably already whacking it down in an expensive
wine-bar on a company expense account.

Bottom line: we're more likely to find allies in the anit-capitalism
camp than in the pro-capitalism camp.  The strategic decision that
needs to be taken is, whether having those particular allies would do
us more harm than good; and I don't think it's at all obvious (either
way) what the answer to that question is.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Cogito Ergo, Harpo and Chico" -- Anonymous.